Sunday, November 13, 2011

Kale Chips

Kale! Deep and leafy green. Hearty and healthful.
I used to be intimidated by this beautiful, yet elusive veggie. Frankly, I just did not know what to do with it. Though I knew that  kale is an excellent source of vitamins, anti-oxidants and all that other super-food stuff, I just didn't know how to incorporate it into my diet.
Enter the kale chip. 

If you suffer from the same bewilderment I once did, then give these babies a try. A guaranteed easy remedy to kale-o-phobia and the beginning of a beautiful veggie friendship (I promise).

Ingredients:
1 bunch of kale, rinsed
2-3 tbsp. olive oil
sea salt to taste*

*A note on SALT: I used Maldon salt on my chips as it has light flaky crystals and a nice taste. You don't have to use fancy salt like this, but if you have it (or fleur de sel) why not put it to good use?
And if you're feeling brave, why not experiment and throw some other spices in there? I recommend fresh ground pepper, garlic powder and cayenne.

Preparation:
Preheat oven to 300 degrees (Fahrenheit).
Remove kale leaves from thick center stalks. You want to keep the leaves in large pieces, so a knife works better than hands for this job.
Toss leaves in olive oil and spread on a baking sheet. Sprinkle with salt (and any other desired spices).
Bake for 15-20 minutes or until chips are crisp.

Pile into a bowl and make sure you get some before they disappear into the mouths of  the supposed meat and potatoes crowd.

For more on the benefits of kale visit here.

3 comments:

  1. hmm looks interesting!
    A little bit like the 'seaweed' you might get in chinese takeaway..

    I just eat kale boiled!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, if you've ever had "nori" or seaweed, the texture is a bit similar, but not nearly as fishy! I've also come to love kale in soups and stews.

    ReplyDelete