Friday, December 16, 2011

White Bean and Chorizo Soup

I love soup. If I didn't feel obligated to feed Ryan something a little more substantial once in a while, I would just make soup after soup after soup. Soup and I could run away together and have delicious soup babies.


Ok, maybe I'm going a bit overboard. Normally I don't get obsessive about one type of food. In fact, I often get bored of things quickly and I rarely make the same dish twice. But soup is so versatile! And this one especially, I'd make again and again because it is just. that. good.

And simple. As soup should be.




Ingredients:
1 medium sized onion
3 cloves garlic
2 dry chorizo sausages (pre-cooked)
1/4 tsp cayenne
1/2 tsp smoked paprika*
1/2 tsp thyme leaves
1/2 tsp salt
2 cups chicken stock
28 oz canned dinned tomatoes
14 oz canned white beans**
2 handfuls fresh spinach***

*Paprika comes in "hot" or "sweet". If you want a little more spice, go for the hot. That's what I like to use.
**I used canellini beans for this. But you could just as well use white kidney beans or even chick peas.
***You could use any cooking greens here. The greens you see pictured are actually beet greens which were nice...kale would work too!

In a large, heavy-bottom pot, saute onions and garlic until tender.
Slice chorizo into thin rounds and add to pot.
Saute sausage until starting to brown, about 5-7 minutes.
Add herbs and spices and saute about 1 minute.
Add chicken stock, tomatoes and beans.
Let simmer for 10-15 minutes.
Before serving, add chopped spinach. Mix until greens are wilted.

Enjoy with some crusty bread or a homemade biscuit!

No comments:

Post a Comment